Independent Party of Florida Update and News
Did you get a post card that you are no longer part of the Independent Party of Florida? The bad news is the state of FL dissolved the party based on accounting issue in 2014. However, the good news is our site: Independent Florida is not related to the Independent Party of Florida. We are a network and group for like-minded individuals who are tired of the major parties that don’t represent us anymore.
What is Independent Florida, and what do we stand for?
Independent Florida exists to:
- Encourage rational discussions about the issues facing out state and our country. Too many times sound bytes and hyperbole rule the media. Let’s talk about the issues reasonably.
- Bring a less partisan approach to issues. So many times conservative vs liberal, Republican vs Democrat, etc polarize the issues. Let’s take a minute and try to understand the other side. They probably don’t have evil intents, but maybe just a different approach to solving the problem. We don’t have to agree, but let’s try to understand. In the end, it will probably strengthen our own position on the issue.
- Support independent and 3rd party candidates. Maybe we are cynical about our current political parties. We think for true change, we need to have new parties in the discussion. We have some good pages on this site with bigger breakdowns on these ideas, so browse around and check them out. Here are 2 to get started: Why vote 3rd party and Don’t vote for the lesser of two evils.
- Encourage others that they are not alone in their frustration with the major parties.
If you were a member of the Independent Party of Florida, I imagine that you probably agree with a lot of these ideas. So what’s next? We would love to have you participate with us in advancing these goals.
How do I get involved?
There are a few ways that you can help. You can also review our support page for more info.
- Write about your thoughts and ideas. We are looking for contributors that would like to share their thoughts on hot topics or local issues. Check out this post for more info on how you can become a contributor with Independent Florida.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. We are more active on Twitter, but we try to keep both sites updated with the latest info.
- Share content that you agree with on social media. This helps spread the word and grows the discussion.
- Shop on Amazon with our link. This does give us some financial support. You get the same price, but this allows us to devote more time to the site and spreading our message.
What is Independent Florida Currently Working On?
To promote independent and 3rd party support, our focus is on:
- Finding people to write about politics in their area from an independent perspective. Independent and 3rd party candidates are harder to find out about remotely on a local level, so we would like to have someone in each city that can share what is happening with them locally. You don’t have to be professional writer or blogger. Check out our link about about writing for more info on this.
- Starting a podcast. Last election cycle, we did some email interviews with independent and 3rd party candidates. It seemed that many preferred a phone or skype interview though. These interviews are better in the podcast format. Also, we want to talk to local leaders of 3rd party groups – Libertarian, Green Party, Constitution, etc to find out what is going on in their local areas as well. We also plan to cover some hot topic issues that face Florida or the US as a whole. Do you listen to podcasts? What types of things would you like to hear discussed? Email us to let us know!
- Growing our social media reach. Our original plan was to have a forum on this site, but we found people prefer to interact on social media. Social media still seems like a strange phenomenon, but it definitely seems like it is here to stay. Twitter is the place we are most active on a day-to-day basis; so make sure to find us there, and join the discussion!
Independent or Join a Party?
If you were part of the Independent Party of Florida, we are sorry for the loss of your party. Don’t be discouraged! There are still many places for you to participate in the political process. Check out the other Florida parties or stay independent. You are welcome here as long as you are committed to an independent, non-partisan approach to politics-even if you decide to join a major party. Don’t site on the sidelines! We hope to hear from you.