Home Forums Hot Political Topics Supreme Court Nomination to Replace Scalia

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wcprrt 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brando81
    Brando81

We hear Republicans saying that Obama shouldn’t nominate a justice to replace Scalia since it is an election year. I’ve heard talk that he should nominate a conservative if he is goimg to nominate someone? I think that it is his right and duty to nominate a justice, but it is also the Senate’s right and responsibilty to confirm them. That being said, I think Obama would be naive to think a completely liberal judge would be confirmed, and I think it would be crazy for the Republicans to think Obama would nominate a conservative. I think we will end up with someone that is somewhere in the middle. I hope everyone will judge this eventual nominee based on their own merits, and not on which box they try to fit them into (Republican/Democrat, Conservative/Liberal, etc.)

What do you think? Should Obama nominate a new justice? How should senate handle the confirmation process?

wcprrt
    Participant

The President has the right to nominate a justice. However, a justice should be devoted to following the Constitution in all cases that come to the Supreme Court. This position should not be based on whether the nominee is liberal, moderate or conservative. And the Senate has a right to question and reject a nominee not either qualified or not devoted to protecting the Constitution. I think it is very unfortunate the Senate Republicans started talking about postponing a Presidential appointment. That is not how it is supposed to work. I guess it just shows how messed up our national government has become.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Show
Hide