Home Forums Presidential Election Libertarian Town Hall

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Brando81 Brando81 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brando81
    Brando81

Did you catch the Libertarian Town Hall tonight on CNN?

I was able to watch most of it. I think it brushed the surface of a lot of issues, and overall I thought it was good. A few answers were a bit shaky. I didn’t like Weld saying that he would support Clinton if he had to vote for one of them.

Also, I wish Libertarians and Conservatives in general would do a better job differentiating the issue from the government. This applies to poor people and the healthcare questions that came up in the debate. I think most would not want to see someone without healthcare and unable to afford treatment to be untreated. I think most conservatives would like to see charities and local groups meet these needs, as they are more efficient and in a better position to properly address the situation vs. Washington bureaucrats. It’s not that they want people to go hungry or go without treatment, but the question is who should be doing it. I think they usually do a poor job expressing this (I probably have too, but that was my best shot for now).

What were your thoughts?

Brando81
    Brando81

What did you think of the 2nd town hall that was last night?

I wish Gary Johnson didn’t defer to Bill Weld as much. It makes it seem like Gary Johnson is not a strong leader. I don’t believe that is the case, but it gives that appearance.

That being said, the more I hear Bill Weld speak, the more I like what he has to say. Neither are extreme Libertarians, and I could see why pure Libertarians aren’t thrilled with Johnson/Weld, but I do think they take a common sense approach to government. Small government when possible, and government intervention when necessary as a last resort. That is an approach that I tend to agree with. I did like Anderson Cooper pointing out that Johnson was using terms like “I may be wrong” and terms that showed he realizes that he may not know everything. This is unusual in today’s politics, but it is a breath of fresh air. I want our president to be knowledgeable, but moreso a leader. Someone who can identify a problem and work with the 535 people in the House and Senate to work towards the best solution, regardless of who proposes that idea. That is one of the big things missing in Washington now.

One of the biggest problems I see is that most answers are kind of nuanced, which is good, but makes it hard for the media to show on clips and seems like people get bored. That is a sad commentary on our society, but it seems like we have about a 30 second attention span. Sadly most of these issues are more complicated than what can be solved in 30 sec clips, but most mainstream politicians throw out 30 second ideas that really only address the surface of the issue.

Those are my thoughts for now. What did you think?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Show
Hide