Home Forums Presidential Election Jan 28 Republican Fox Presidential Debate

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Brando81 Brando81 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brando81
    Brando81

The next Republican Presidential Debate is around the corner.

January 28, 2016
    9 PM EST on Fox News

Rand Paul makes his return to the main stage, which would normally be the only real pre-debate news. However, not to be outdone, Trump’s has said that he won’t participate in the Fox News debate. The candidates participating in the main debate will be Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Rand Paul, and John Kasich.

What are you looking forward to in this debate?

Brando81
    Brando81

We didn’t make it past the first question without bringing up Trump. Fitting that the question was asked by Megyn Kelly. It’s still frustrating to me to hear Rubio. I feel like he keeps going to his talking points. A few years ago he seemed fresh and original, now he sounds a lot like party line Republican.

Brando81
    Brando81

Jeb actually sounded decent there, but he should not purposefully bring up the connection to the Bush name. It is enough baggage without purposefully drawing attention to it.

Chris Christie has sounded better in the last few debates. I still think he gives too big of a broad overview and doesn’t get into a lot of details on thing,s. I think that probably hurts him, but it doesn’t help that he gets a lot less air time to explain his positions.

Nice to see Rand Paul back on the main stage. Interesting to see him focus on attacking Cruz…I don’t know how that strategy will work out.

Brando81
    Brando81

The data collection, privacy, ,and liberty is one of Rand Paul’s strongest point. The more he brings up liberty and freedom, the better I think he will do.

Carson sounded decent there too.

I still like Kasich. He seems to be open-minded about things. I just wish he would talk about more stuff than “I did it in Washington and I did it in Ohio.”

So far most candidates have started out pretty well. It will be interesting to see where this goes without Trump.

Brando81
    Brando81

Glad to see moderators take control and not allow people to jump in when the question wasn’t directed to them.

Ted Cruz is not helping himself with the constant interruptions and whining.

I’m glad to see Bush did not address his brother’s decisions as much as he addressed the situation in general.

Brando81
    Brando81

So overall thoughts up to this point:

Cruz: Poor showing. Too much whining about questions, not answering the questions. Denying positions even with video evidence playing right in front of him. Admit changes in policy, explain the rationale, explain what is best going forward. This is a much better approach than trying to make a crazy explanation on why the video clips didn’t say what they actually said.

Rubio: Changed his verbiage some from prior debates. Still tends to go back to his stump speeches. However, seems to have stayed out of the fray and attacks, even though his name has been in it a lot. Good job not keeping the discussion there, but moving the discussion back to the nation and what he plans to do- even if I’ve heard some form of that over and over and we aren’t really hearing anything new.

Carson: Seems surprised to be involved in the debate as much as he is actually contributing to it. I llike Carson at first, but he has seemed hesitant in his positions as the debates have gone on and he started getting more air time.

Christie: Has done a pretty good job quickly pointing out some flaws in the candidates and jumping back to national issues. Still a lot of attacks and little substance on what he plans to do, except not what ______ does.

Kasich: Has seemed to have good points tonight. Glad that he hasn’t mentioned resume in DC and OH as much as previous debates. Still seems to be missing something….the only thing I can think of is he doesn’t seem like a strong leader

Bush: I don’t think he has much of a chance, but he has had a stonger debate than previous performances. He has done a good job pointing out that he has plans out in the open, pointed out some position changes of others that they were trying to run from, but overall seems focused on what he can do. I still think the Bush lineage will be too much to overcome.

Paul: Probably the best performance to this point.. Sticking to liberty and freedom along with constitutionality of issues shows where Rand is really strong, and accentuates the differences between Rand Paul and the other candidates who may be willing to give up some of these freedoms in the name of national security. This is a fundamental question for this election and the upcoming years. I’m glad to hear someone fighting this fight. His comments on criminal justice were also very good.

Brando81
    Brando81

I don’t feel that there were a lot of other major points to change my above opinions. I think the moderators did a great job. I really liked the video clips to support the questions and make the candidates address the issue.

After the debate on CNN, Rand Paul (who I like) was complaining that Trump didn’t come to the debate. This seems a bit hypocritical since Rand Paul skipped the last debate when he wasn’t on the main stage. It may be a fair criticism for Trump skipping, but should be made by someone who didn’t also just skip a debate.

What were your thoughts on the debate tonight?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Show
Hide