Home Forums Welcome Hi from Highlands County

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brando81 Brando81 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

wcprrt
    Participant

I am Bill Pollard, registered as a Green Party member. I consider myself more of an independent than a Green, as some Party ideas have gotten a bit away from my beliefs. For years I was a Democrat and still hold the values of a traditional Democrat. However, both big parties have too much money influence in them. I consider myself a moderate, although I am conservative on some things and liberal on others. The two big topics of concern to me are protecting Social Security (as I hope to retire soon) and employee rights (as I don’t see most employers even trying to comply with employment laws anymore). I have never held office and don’t want to run for anything. I am a member of a citizen advisory committee and became its chairman last year.

Brando81
    Brando81

Hi Bill! Nice to meet you. That’s cool to hear that you are chairman of the citizen advisory committee. What types of issues does your committee work on? Is this committee focused on local government, state, or both?

Since you mentioned that Social Security is important to you- how do you feel about some of proposals that raise the age for SS for younger workers but remain unchanged for workers near retirement age already?

I am more of a Libertarian in some aspects, although I don’t think I take it quite as far as most do. I tend to be more fiscally conservative and socially liberal, though. I agree with you that both major parties have too much money to where almost any candidate has to fall in line to get elected. It feels almost like they have to sell their soul. That’s why I’m drawn to this independent/3rd party movement. I want to see a government where politicians can vote their conscience, not based on what letter is behind their name.

Thanks for introducing your self, we hope to hear more from you!

wcprrt
    Participant

To answer your questions: I am a member of the Highlands County Historic Preservation Commission. We look at the feasibility of nominating properties for the county historic preservation list, which has stringent conditions to be met. However, if a property gets on the list, it is eligible for some tax breaks to help in its preservation. We also screen applications for this list. Several of us have, in addition, written short histories about communities, ghost towns and abandoned turpentine camps. I am almost finished with a book on the history of my community.

As to Social Security: I would like to see it maintained in its present condition for everyone. We have already raised the retirement age and I fear politicians will raise it to a point where many cannot retire.

Brando81
    Brando81

That’s great. I have been in a lot of the historic districts in Lakeland, and it is nice to see those historic buildings preserved. I know we lost a few historic buildings in Ybor City not too long ago, and it’s sad to see those structures fall into disrepair and eventually be destroyed. Thanks for your work in that regard there in Highlands County.

Social Security is a tough subject. I think they have to do something. Raising the eligibility age for those under a certain age seems reasonable with the longer life expectancy that we have these days. However, I would be open to ideas on different solutions. It just doesn’t seem sustainable with the higher number of people in the program, the lower number of workers, and the amount of money that was taken out of the fund in the past. I hate the fear mongering that comes up with the subject, though. Instead of having an intelligent discussion, people jump to these crazy extreme, polarizing positions. That’s one of my biggest frustrations with most political issues at this point.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Show
Hide